Meet The Aloha Animal Hospital Veterinarians
Dr. Douglas K.Y. Chang, DVM: The "Alpha Dog"
Dr. Chang is the President of Aloha Animal Hospital Associates and sets the day-to-day pace of the organization. He splits his time among a number of responsibilities including caring for pets, training/managing the staff and staying ahead of the rapidly changing field of veterinary science.
Dr. Chang is always pushing the staff at Aloha Animal Hospital Associates towards greater excellence. "If you compared me to a dog, I guess I can be sort of barky," he said. As a result, his staff characterizes him as a miniature pincher. "They tend to have a small dog complex," Dr. Chang chuckles. "They can be yappy, but they know how to get things done." Dr. Chang said his motives are always good, even if his style can be intense. "I'm passionate about giving the highest level of care to our pets. That can make me a little bit pushy. But inside, I'm more of a lab," he said. "When I know we're giving the very best care - like when we save a pet's life - then I'm able to relax and be very enthusiastic and cheerful."
When he's not busy at Aloha Animal Hospital Associates, Dr. Chang takes working vacations where he volunteers his time to help build and restore hiking trails and community centers. He also visits the gym regularly to keep himself flexible and maintain his stamina for the rigors of the profession.
Dr. Chang at a Glance:
- Started Aloha Animal Hospital Associates: 1986
- Degree: Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine, Colorado State University. Bachelor of Science degree from Washington State University.
- Recognition: American Veterinary Medical Association Auxiliary Award, Mayor's Technology Award.
- Professional Appointments: Far West Regional Director of the American Animal Hospital Association, State Representative of the American Veterinary Medical Association, President of the Honolulu Veterinary Society, Veterinary Chairman of the Morris Animal Foundation, Director of the Eye of the Pacific Guide Dogs, and Charter President of the Honolulu Optimists International.
- Media Host: Dr. Chang is often called upon by the media as a spokesperson on pet issues. He has served as the host of "Animal Answers" on KITV (Hawaii's ABC affiliate) and "Pets and Vets," weekly radio show.
- Pets: Similar to his work environment, Dr. Chang surrounds himself with pets. He's cared for dogs, cats, fish, birds, chickens, and a turtle!
Dr. Chang isn't just a great vet, he's also a great community volunteer. Here he is teaching kids what it's like to be a vet.
She's our busy bee!
In between working full time at the Honolulu Zoo, Dr. Emma Kaiser provides relief work at our clinic so Dr. Chang can have days off. She's done everything from dentals on lions and neuters on rabbits.
Her many talents include: west african dancing, ice skating, snowboarding, knitting and reading. She has also traveled to Cameroon in West Africa to work on some of the wildlife, she's one amazing addition to our team.